Reflections on life
This deck of cards is an invitation to find joy, right where you are.
Through events and gatherings, we listened to stories of how the people of Burnie encountered hope during COVID-19 lockdowns in 2020. These cards reflect their stories.
These cards are an invitation to build on the Burnie community’s stories of resilience. As part of a social recovery movement, they encourage us to find life within and around us. The cards can be used personally, with family and friends, in groups and professionally.
All cards were illustrated by Liz from Ebb Draws. Liz explores her connection with the North-West Coast of Tasmania through the clear skies and vast stretches of ocean, watching how they shape the land and the people around her.
These cards were created on the land of the palawa people. We acknowledge the way the palawa community has reflected life through art on this land for thousands of years and continues to do so.
BURNIE WORKS IN A NEW WAY
How to use the cards
There are many ways to use the cards – on your own or with others, at home or at work. You can use them however you like – but toget you started, here is an idea for reflection and action:
- Shuffle the cards and pick one out at random, or
- Deal a card to each person you are with, or
- Lay all the cards face up on the floor and choose one that resonates
Take a moment to really look at your card.Let the illustration spark a sea of memoriesor ideas.
Reflect on a memory the card sparks for you. Remember where you were, who you were with and how you felt. Breathe in the memory and notice what it stirs in you.
Let the card inspire you to action. You may jump up and respond immediately or make plans to do the idea from the card. Notice what the action evokes in you and follow its lead.
You might like to journal on your own, share in pairs or reflect back to a group:
- Why you chose the card you selected
- What the memory or invitation for action means to you
- A story from your life inspired by the card
- Something you do that supports your wellbeing
- The plans you will make in response to the card
Index of Invitation
- Find a heart-stone
- Sit with a friend
- Spring clean
- Find freedom
- Share your stories
- Tell someone you love them
- Learn something new
- Dance like nobody’s watching
- Holiday in your backyard
- Cook Nanna’s favourite recipe
- Let your inner child play
- Watch something grow
- Find a new book
- Go on an adventure
- Find a reason to dress up
- Have a cuppa
- Open a window and breathe the air
- Make some noise
- Take a forest bath
- Hope for the future
- Take a walk
- Share the love
- Enter bear-mode
- Get amongst it!
- Embrace the seasons
- Get some vitamin D…Tassie style
- Go on a treasure hunt