EPG is made up of representatives for Jobactive Providers, Registered Training Organisations and Disability Employment Services in Burnie. The group was pivotal in responding to need through COVID 19 and was instrumental in the running of two events in 2020 and early 2021.
“Finding their Place”, was a telethon style event livestreamed on Facebook to place year 12 VET students from across the coast (Vocational education training) into job placements, so that they were able to complete their certification. It was essentially an emergency response that otherwise would have seen a large cohort of students unable to complete their school study requirements in their final year.
The Future Jobs and Skills Expo was another event that EPG were heavily involved in. The target audience for this expo was mature aged job seekers. In February 2021, industry representatives from Burnie’s future job sectors, regional training providers and employment services filled out the Burnie Arts & Function Centre to talk to Job Seekers, ages 18 plus. The feedback from this event was overwhelmingly positive.
Some survey feedback from Jobseekers at the Future Jobs and Skills Expo
- It was very targeted towards renewable energies which is what I was really interested in.
- Wide cross-section of employment opportunities
- The space between the vendors
- Meeting someone that was excited about what I had to offer an employer
- Seeing the traineeship/apprenticeship companies there so I knew who some were.
- Number of providers
- So many options
- Great networking opportunity
- Being able to talk directly to people in recruiting about the required info needed to go-ahead