Burnie Works, in partnership with Burnie City Council, have made some changes to youth council membership. These changes will take place over a two-year period and will see all Youth Councillors participating in Youth Council for two years by 2025.
Membership for 2024
For the 2024 membership intake;
• Participating primary schools are to nominate two students for Youth Council, one year 5 student, and one year 6 student.
• Participating high schools are to nominate four students for Youth Council, two year 9 students, and two year 10 students.
Those students in Years 5 and 9 in 2024, will continue their Youth Council role in 2025.
- Increase the diversity of youth voices contributing to Youth Council activity.
- Support leadership skill building; and
- Allows for peer-to-peer learning amongst new and existing Youth Councillors
- Provide extended scope for Burnie youth to direct change in their community.
Participating schools will also benefit from these changes, with less time and effort needed each year to nominate Youth Councillors and support new Councillors in their role.